Learning, growing in wisdom, is considered by our tradition to be central to Jewish life. For many, Torah is the most important Jewish practice because it leads to a life of Mitzvot, right actions.
- Adult Learning -Each fall and spring Am Kolel offers classes in Jewish thought and literature, taught by Rabbi David Shneyer. Ongoing study in Biblical, Siddur or Modern Hebrew is offered, as well as study of liturgy with Reb David. For specific information about classes being offered, see the the Upcoming Events section on our homepage, or look through our calendar. Adult Education classes are easily identified by brown highlighting throughout the calendar.
- Jewish Renewal Weekends – Am Kolel sponsors several Renewal Weekends each year at our Sanctuary and Renewal Center in Beallsville, MD. These weekends are lead by Renewal scholars and provide an opportunity to explore a renewed Judaism in contemplative surroundings. Specific information about our Jewish Renewal Weekends can be found in the Upcoming Events section on our homepage, or in the Am Kolel calendar. Jewish Renewal Weekends, and other special events are highlighted in dark blue in the calendar for easy identification.
- Martin Buber Summer Youth Kibbutz - Something Special for Aware and Eco-Conscious Youth. Our Martin Buber Summer Youth Kibbutz offers a unique way for youth to deepen their Jewish identity and sense of community, their understanding of Jewish teachings on community and ecology, as well as their practice of and commitment to Tikkun Olam. The overnight camp takes place at Am Kolel’s Sanctuary and Renewal Center. Participants experience kibbutz-style cooperative living while learning about Jewish social philosophy, Jewish environmental ethics, conflict-resolution, and working on an organic farm. For more information, go to our website.
- Guest speakers and performers - Throughout the year we are privileged to schedule several events, either at Sanctuary or in-town, where we can learn from or enjoy special speakers and performers. Join the Am Kolel email list to receive information when these events are scheduled. Events will also be posted on the Calendar page, highlighted in dark blue.
- Am Kolel - Kehilah Chadasha Bernard and Rae Alice Cohen Library - Our library of more than 2,000 volumes is a great treasure available to our members, friends and guests. Located at Sanctuary, anyone can come by and enjoy the gems of Jewish learning. Donations for new volumes are welcome as well as for our DVD library.
- Sunday School
In addition to directing Am Kolel, Reb David is also the spiritual leader of the Kehila Chadasha Havurah based in Bethesda. A member directed community, Kehila sponsors a Sunday school that is open to members of other communities. If you would like more information visit www.e-keila.org.
- Children’s Minyan - We offer support to the Silver Spring - Takoma Park Kinder Minyan, a group of young families that meet each month for Shabbat or a holiday program. For more information about this program contact Tami Wendrow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Lunch and Learn – A periodic series of full day workshops, at Sanctuary. Join the Am Kolel email list to receive information when these workshops are scheduled.
- Learning Hebrew
Instruction in Biblical, Siddur or Modern Hebrew is offered by Hanna Weissberger, under the auspices of Am Kolel. Both private and group lessons are available. If you are interested, please contact the instructor directly.
Hanna Weissberger: email@example.com